Dodgers History

A New Ballpark …

March 4, 1912 – Groundbreaking ceremonies are held for the new ballpark in Brooklyn which eventually will be called “Ebbets Field,” after team president Charles Ebbets, who began buying land in the area beginning in 1908. The 18,000-seat facility is located on the block bordered by Bedford Avenue, Sullivan Place, McKeever Place and Montgomery Street. Ebbets Field opens in 1913 and will be the home of the Dodgers through the 1957 season.