Ebbets Field Swansong
January 15, 1957 – The Brooklyn Dodgers extend their five-year lease on Ebbets Field by signing a new three-year lease with real estate developer Marvin Kratter, who bought the field in 1953. But the lease didn’t keep the Dodgers in town. After acquiring the territorial rights to the Southern California area from Chicago Cubs owner Phil Wrigley, who also owned the Pacific Coast League’s Los Angeles Angels and its Wrigley Field ballpark, the Brooklyn franchise relocated to the West Coast after the 1957 season. Instead of playing at the 22,000-seat Wrigley Field, the Dodgers moved into a larger temporary home – the Los Angeles Coliseum.